Monday, December 03, 2007

To Do List

Number one should be: Figure out what to put ON the to do list. It feels like things would all fall into place if I just knew what I had to do to accomplish it all. Actually, it should be more like an outline for a paper entitled

Life of Gonad
I. Get on Track with Diet and Exercise.
A. Go to Gym 4 days a week.
B. USE WW tools and follow the plan.

II. Get on Track with the Library
A. Hire a Great Youth Services Librarian
B. Make Change slooowly.

It's not the big bulletin items I have trouble putting into words or even into action. It's life's little details I keep stumbling over - the chocolate ice cream cake in the freezer that somebody has to eat. I know, why does somebody have to eat it? The birthday party's over. Ditch the cake. Sounds so easy when I tell someone else to do it, but even though no one else in the house will eat it, everybody else in the house will have something to say about me throwing away a perfectly good cake. Whoa. Epiphany happening. This is exactly the same problem I am having at work.

It's all the second guessers that are the stumbling block. In both places, my challenge in life is to get a whole group of people to buy into my plans and the way to do that is to make it our plans. Sounds wonderful. How the heck do I make it happen?

Note: If you were hoping for the answer to appear next, you're out of luck. Sometimes the only way to do it is to just start doing something and go from there. Baby steps. Sounds great, so why is my gut reaction (pun intended) to eat the rest of the cake so it won't be there to sabotage me tomorrow?

And in the meantime, one still has to shovel the end of the driveway because the snowplow came through and decide whether or not the two hour school delay means one should delay the opening of the library as well whilst ensuring that one arrives early enough one's self to salt and shovel the pathways to the library door, both for the staff and the patrons, and get the teen to school on time, and still plan things like a point friendly packed lunch. Then there's the staff member who is probably panicking right about now because her two part time jobs are going to run into each other because of the school delay, which means I should plan on doing her story time this morning and there's the other teen who is staying home sick today and oh yes, there's knitting tonight.

No wonder I have trouble with the big picture.

No comments: